Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Accra

I arrived at Accra about 830 local (+5 hrs to EST) and breezed thru immigration and customs despite the "contraband" hospital equipment I receved from Cindy and Paul Schumpert Sunday evening.

I spent the day sweating and taking cabs to what I had hoped was an enclosed fixed-price Ghanaian folk craft market. Taxi number one deposited me a grocery store and I hiked off, not knowing where I was, and hailed another taxi. This driver, James, was a gem extolling the merits of Ghana's football team in the upcoming matches; showing me independence park (1957) and the new stadium (which really was impressive).

We wound up at the "Cultural Centre" a flea-market of local Ashanti, Dan, Mooshi, Yorubu and other tribes art. I saw maybe 10% before hunger, stimulus overload, and one too many "just a second, look at this for just a second" got me. We had a light meal and I got dropped off, once we found the guest house again.

Spent the afternoon dozing and sweating under fan (a/c is available but I am trying to acclimate). Reorganized the bags, incorporated a load of Cipro and came down for dinner at 630pm. It was the usual melange of people going up -country and coming down; returning from a mission, going to a conference, leading a conference and returning home. There is always a gaggle of children and their familiars.

I am doing better but pray for my continued recovery. The cough is exhausting and disturbs what little sleep I can find.

No comments: