Friday, November 13, 2015

Getting Ready to do it Again

After so long, it seems odd to re-activate this blog. Since leaving Ghana I have been on a number of mission trips. Much has happened at Baptist Medical Center in Nalerigu, as well. Dr Faile, of course, has retired and my good friends Cindy and Paul Shumpert, have been working tirelessly (well, continuously) to find materiel and personnel to continue BMC's mission. Most of you may be aware that the original sponsor for BMC, the Southern Baptist Convention, has been withdrawing support for medical programs for decades. BMC is on its own.
I accepted an assignment here over the holidays to help in a usually thin part of the schedule. As a physician, all holidays are "moveable," of course, none being guaranteed to occur on time or in that idyllic non-time of celebration when the larger world agrees to be held at bay.
This time, however, I will at least be leaving healthy. I hope to stay that way and not become a burden on the resources like I managed to do last time.
The weather I expect will be very similar to what I experienced last time, the dry season. It will be earlier in the season, so I hope that the malnutrition, malaria, and fevers will be less mortal to my marginalized population. Last time, malnutrition clinic, an outdoor affair among the mothers and babies who collect around a government feeding station, was a three times a week intervention of mine to find the kids who were sick enough to be admitted.
I am collecting stuff. Once people know you are going out, you get the emails to take along "a few things" for someone already in the field. My porch has been committed to the collection of piles of books, medical equipment and "stuff." I will need a second bag.
I just published my first novel the end of October, Outland Exile (some of you will get it). You can actually go buy the thing now! If you want a signed copy at substantial discount ($12.95 +S&H) you will need to wait until I return in January, however. http://oldmenandinfidels.com is another blog on writing and the books that I will keep up in the usual dulsatory fashion. I hope to finish book two while I am gone.
Lastly, I covet your prayers for guidance, strength and health. My next entry should be from Ghana.

1 comment:

Jim Neeley said...

Walter, YOU are a Great Man, and I am very proud of what you do, I am also pleased and Proud that you had accepted me as your Friend. Your work with the Baptist Medical Center must be very rewarding and I admire you for doing this! Have a safe trip, and keep us all posted,
Later my Friend,
Jim